Friday 1 January 2016

Acer V3-372 Skylake Instability RC6

I have been able to consistently reproduce a GPU hang by playing Portal 2 under Linux. The game starts fine and you can play the first level until you sleep and then it crashes.

The fact that the crash occurs when the graphics are simple lead me to suspect that it could be a power-state issue and so I tried again this time disabling RC6 power-states.

Sure enough, I was able to play beyond this point. I guess it will be a case of waiting until the bugs are all fixed, which could take some time.

Although permanently disabling RC6 could be a workaround, it isn't appealing due to the reduced battery life. Also under the 4.4.0-rc6 kernel, the gpu hangs are more infrequent and no longer seem to lock up the entire system, so for the moment, I leave RC6 enabled.


No comments:

Post a Comment