Sunday 8 November 2015

Acer V3-372 Linux Crash

Just a post to record crashes.

So far, I had only two crashes and both were when plugged into AC power and using an ancient USB 802.11g wifi adapter.

The first crash happened when trying to receive a Google Hangouts call. The second when making a Google websearch.

Next time, I will watch more carefully and check the crash reports to try to figure out the cause.

EDIT: I think I've fixed the crash. I believe it is due to buggy i915 driver and so I disabled intel pstate by adding intel_pstate=disable in the kernel parameters and I've had fewer crashes since then.

2 comments:

  1. I can reproduce the crash consistently by using Google hangouts. I installed crash reporting so will investigate when I have more time. I also notice some crashes during high disk IO e.g. when downloading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having investigated a bit more, it seems related to buggy graphics drivers. I will try disabling a few features to see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete