Friday 20 November 2015

Acer V3-372 WiFi Backup Plan with RTL8192cu

My $2 USB wifi adapter arrived a few days ago. At first I was very disappointed as the speed was excruciatingly slow.


I learned that this was due to poor hardware crypto performance. A simple swenc=1 option in module load up fixed it.

While I believe it is possible to compile a driver for the QCA6174 wireless module, I think this is likely to be more hassle than it is worth and so I ordered an Intel 7265n wifi card until the Qualcomm card gets mainline support.

3 comments:

  1. Even with the swenc=1 option, the performance was really bad. By way of comparison, an old 802.11g dongle easily outperformed this 802.11n dongle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up: i got my device to work by following these instructions: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1520343/comments/19

    But maybe you're better off waiting for mainline support as you wrote above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. In the end, I replaced it with an Intel card as I was too impatient! ;)

    ReplyDelete